1. When was the designated hitter idea first suggested and by whom ?
1928 by NL President Heydler, tired of seeing week hitting pitchers try to hit. The NL owners were for it but could not get the AL owners to go for it
2. Who is the only Yankees skipper to never manage the Yanks in Yankee Stadium (after 1923 …)
Bill Verdon ’74 & ‘75
3. Who is the only person in both the baseball and football Hall of fame ?
Major League umpire Cal Hubbard
4. There is a man on first and a man on second with none out. The batter hits the ball and there is a triple play, but no member of the defense touches the ball… how did this happen?
The runner on 1st is running on the pitch when the batter hits a HIGH infield fly.(BATTER IS OUT #1)The runner from 1st passes the runner on 2nd(RUNNER FROM 1st IS OUT #2). The runner on 2nd gets hit with the infield fly standing off of 2nd base(OUT #3).
5. Who did Hank Aaron hit his first major league home run off of ?
Vic Raschi of the St. Louis Cardinals in 1954
6. In 1963, which baseball pitcher said: "They'll put a man on the moon before I hit a home run." Ironically, only a few hours after Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon on July 20, 1969, This pitcher hit the first and only home run of his career.
7. In July 1934, How much did Babe Ruth pay a fan dollars for the return of the baseball he hit for his 700th career home run ?
8. In the 1964 World Series, who caught baseballs in the outfield during warm-ups with a tuba ?
St. Louis reserve catcher Bob Uecker
9. How many raised red cotton stitches are there on a Major league baseball ?
10. Who is credited with the invention of the modern baseball bat ? He was the first player to order a bat with a knob on the end of the handle.