Football is absolutely destroying baseball in terms of popularity. Only the die hard fans will pay attention to baseball over the next month, and the playoffs have been taking a beating for a number of years.
Putting your postseason on TBS is basically admitting defeat.
How can baseball regain some of its popularity?
- Leave the season at 162. (I'd like 150, but hey)
- All-Star game is based off a complete season and happens AFTER the WS. The league that wins gets some sort of drafting advantage.
- Start the baseball season sooner and have it end in the last week of August or first week of September?
- Get rid of inter-league play. (I like inter-league, but hear me out)
- Once the playoffs start the leagues come together. The teams are ordered by their records. The team with the best records in either league will have a massive home-field advantage. In every series, the team with the better record will be rewarded.
Example: (Where one team has a better record)
ALDS: 2 Home / 1 Away / 2 Home
ACLS: 3 Home / 1 Away / 3 Home
WS: 2 Home / 2 Away / 3 Home
When the teams have the same record, the distribution can be more balanced. (Can do this via coin-flip or via All-Star game result)