View Full Version : Jim or anyone -- need help ASAP!!
09-14-01, 01:37 PM
Okay -- for you computer geniuses of which I know there are many on this site:
I'm packing my desk -- today is my last day at work -- and I was clearing everything off my computer when I realized just logging out on this forum and others just takes the cookies out temporarily....my former boss is taking my computer and she's a nutjob and I don't want her to be able to start typing where it fills in the rest of the screenname and the password...so here's my question:
is there any kind of thing I can run to clear these cookie things out for good on this computer?
also is there anything I can do so that they can't even tell what websites I used to go into? like maybe possibly accidently/on purpose wiping out internet explorer from the computer? :D
Please -- whoever answers -- I'm a computer spas/illiterate if you can't already tell...please "speak" slowly and have mercy...Thanks!! :D
09-14-01, 02:39 PM
Lunachick, someone with more computer knowledge might be able to help you more specifically but here's a few suggestions:
1. On the tool bar on the top of Internet Explorer, click on Tools and then Internet Options. On the general page/tab, under the second option "Temporary Internet Files" click on "delete files". This will erase internet files in your disk cache. After you've done that under the third option "History" click on "clear history" and this will erase the list of sites you've visited recently.
2. If Internet Explorer is locally installed on your computer, meaning that your programs aren't accessed from a network you can erase at least most of the program by dragging the IE icon from the desktop (if that's where you access it from) into the trash and then emptying the trash. Unfortunately, many people have multiple copies of IE on their computers so this may or may not work.
3. Make sure you are logged out of this site when you close your computer for the last time even if you can't do anything else.
There is a way to erase cookies from your computer but I don't know how to do it. Hope this helps a little...
09-14-01, 02:47 PM
I think the cookies go with the Internet Files.
Luna, I'm going to assume that you're not in 2000.
Go to WINDOWS EXPLORER and look for the WINDOWS folder on your C-Drive. Under WINDOWS, there should be something for TEMPORARY INTERENT FILES - delete all those.
Be warned, some companies back up your history on a network drive - - but, your boss would have to really be a nut to go hunting there.
If you're really in a crunch, get a can of Coke or Pepsi and pour it into the back of your deskstop. Keep pouring until your monitor goes black.
Deborah and Steve made some good suggestions, but aside from deleting your temporary internet files, you'll also want to do the following:
1) go to Tools > Internet Options and on the General tab, click on "Clear History" - this will remove the list of URL's that you've visited recently.
2) Right click on the Task Bar (the grey bar at the bottom of the screen), select "Properties", and on the "Advanced" tab, click on the "Clear Documents" button
3) Dragging the IE Icon on your desktop to the recycle bin won't do anything more than delete the icon from your desktop, as you've probably already found out if you read Deborah's message before mine :).
09-14-01, 02:52 PM
Just before you shut down for the last time, you can clear some folders out by going to:
My Computer, Click on your "C" drive, and then click on your Windows folder.
Windows should have a folder for Cookies. You can delete these.
Windows will also have a History folder, that lists websites you've visited. Make sure this is empty.
Windows will have a Temp folder. You can clear anything with a .tmp extension at the end of the file name.
Windows will have a Temporary Internet Files folder. You can clear this out.
(To clear these files, just highlight them and hit delete.)
Hope this helps!
09-14-01, 03:05 PM
You're the best!! I'm going in now --wish me luck!! :D
This one guy made my screensaver for me with pics I took at spring training -- maybe I can post it later -- he's emailing it to my house..it's awesome!!
thanks again!! :)
Powered by vBulletin™ Version 4.0.7 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.